Contractions!

Oh man so I am so glad I have beta readers!  One of my betas has finished reading and since she is writing a book herself and has been doing so for years, her feedback was quite detailed.  At first I was a little overwhelmed to get all that feedback, but I realized that it was most positive and lots of the things were easy to fix…or so it seemed.

One of the suggestions she made was to add in all my contractions as I have a tendency to not use them when I write despite using them when I talk.  For example, I would say “he did not use that door” instead of saying “he didn’t use that door.”  Not a huge deal I thought, well it turns out I am really REALLY anti-contraction when I write!  Thank God for control-F or I would be editing my book for weeks!  I have made literally hundreds and hundreds of changes.  I would say out of all the non-contractions I used, I probably left 20-30 as non-contractions, all the rest were changed.

I’m a little frustrated because, as I have said before, I’m not very patient.  I really want to put my book out there but at the same time, I don’t want to embarrass myself either.  Now that the contractions are done (I also tweaked and added to my ending…), I need to go over a few more small details the beta pointed out.  Then I wait for the other betas to finish.

Oh and I also got another rejection letter today…a full 3 and 1/2 months after I sent it!  Whatever, their loss.

And the journey continues…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s